We do adoptions here at Kittery Animal Hospital!
We have been the animal shelter for Kittery, Eliot, and York, Maine since 1983. Over the years we have placed thousands of animals into forever homes. The northeast has done a great job of population control and keeping animals in their homes. The local area does not have enough animals to fulfil the needs of pets. For years puppy mills provided pets to fill this gap. However, in the south millions of dogs and cats are being euthanized in shelters and abandoned on the streets. For the past 8 years we have gained access to more space and expanded to transporting animals from the south, the islands, and New York City.
Most of our placements become family members to our community and Kittery Animal Hospitals patients for life. It is incredibly rewarding to place animals in their forever homes and get to see them frequently throughout their lives. We are in a unique situation where we can help people find their pets, get them situated, and into their homes.
Adopting a pet is a long-term commitment that can last from 10 to 15 years or more. We want those to be the best years possible for both the pet and the family that adopts. We have developed a positive process based on education to prepare adopters with the information they need to make the best possible decisions.
We also offer many Ancillary services that are available to help fill the gaps for pet owners. These services include grooming, daycare, boarding and pet supplies.
How To Adopt
Deciding to adopt an animal?
- Read and acknowledge that you understand the Kittery Animal Hospital adoption process.
- Familiarize yourself with animals on our adoptable animal page.
- Complete the adoption application on our website and follow the link to our adoption calendar to schedule a time to visit.
- These available times are chosen based on our enrichment/ animal socialization schedule for you to observe all our available dogs and cats.
- Choose which pet you are interested in.
- Within 48 hours the adoption coordinator will connect with you by telephone or email to discuss a one-on-one meet and greet or a to go home adoption appointment.
- Education material is given via email.
- Shopping list provided to assure that you have everything you need for your new family member.
- The day of the to go home appointment the adoption will be finalized.
- complimentary post adoption exam scheduled.
- We also offer Purina Vet direct to have your new pet’s food shipped right to your home.
- 10-14 days after Adoption is Finalized a complimentary post adoption exam is conducted.